Thursday, January 08, 2009

Kafka was right

Today I was asked to install some software that I had never heard of on a machine that I didn't know existed. The Requestor gave me incomplete instructions for the wrong version. This is all I have to go on. It is with this in mind that I suggest Franz Kafka as the one true Prophet of modernity, having seen deeply and truly into the great dead heart of the 20th century.

This is the absurd engine of our insane economy: rituals and rules.

And Kafka was the best at this because he wasn't all like "ha ha you want that in triplicate too?! but instead showed us the voluntary terror and dread of living under the dominion of the unkillable behemoth; the fear and angst of the glacially-paced death we invite bureaucracy to inflict on us all.

No comments: