Friday, February 11, 2005

Getting things done.

I've been seeing a lot of this stuff around lately. The "Geting things done book" is everybody's darling these days. It seems needlessly complex. As a full-time Sys admin and a full-time media studies student, I'm under the impression that I know a thing or two about getting things done. So, here's my own recipe for productivity (and increased charisma and improved body odor):

If it is a thing to do, do it.
If you need to write it down to remember to do it, write it down.

That's about it.

I wonder what's behind the productivity industry. If I remember right. this is only the latest in a long line of people selling you a thing that will help you be more productive. Why do people flock to these crutches? Adding a ritualistic aspect is perhaps a replacement for plain old obligation motivation.

Adding this insane process to every item that drifts across your transom is just going to bog things down.

No comments: