Thursday, January 27, 2005

The destruction of ethics.

So, I've like totally got this Media Ethics class. Anyway, in the discussion, media ethics come up (surprise) and the values that come up the most are things like: objectivity, fairness, accuracy. You know, the ususal. And I was thinking that these values never get anyone anywhere. How about some new values and goals for journalism?

1) Be informed. Is this asking too much? Can the white house press corps ever know enough to actually report fairly?

2) Be understanding. This replaces "objectivity." This though was poked out of my head by the works of William Vollmann. The way he digs into a situation, whether in reporting, or in historical fiction goes beyond the idea of objectivity and goes deep into honest atempts at understanding.

and now there's too damned much going on around me at work for me to think clearly.

No comments: